The annual Cherry Blossom Festival is March 15th-April 16th this year. The blossoms are at their peak this week and absolutely beautiful. The Blossom Kite Festival is this Saturday, April 1st. I went yesterday with my Mom and it was stunning.
Whenever I’m getting ready to list a home for my clients, I follow these 7 steps to get the most money for my clients. This has led to many wonderful selling experiences and a lot of satisfied clients! (click here to see the reviews.)
1. De-clutter. I know you like your collection of troll dolls and think it’s wonderful. It isn’t. Box it up and utilize the space in a way that’s appealing to buyers. Clear the counter tops in your bathroom and kitchen. (Yes, even your toothbrush.) Take your photos and holiday cards off the refrigerator. It’s all a distraction to a buyer.
2. Re-paint in neutral colors. Red kitchens and dining rooms are so 2000. Don’t date your decor with bold colors. Buyers are picky and one terrible paint color can make them over look your property. A tan or greige paint color is the top choice for most buyers. Boring but it works.
3. Clean extensively. Nothing is worse than a grimy bathroom or kitchen when you’re viewing property. Hire a cleaning service. Your property should sparkle. Keep your place tidy while it’s on the market. Make your bed. Put away your soiled clothing and clean laundry. Hang up your coat and put away your shoes.
4. Re-arrange/remove furniture. Most sellers have too much furniture in their space. If you have belongings in every single corner, get rid of them. If it’s over sized and makes your space look small, store it for your next place. Rearrange your furniture to make the space open and inviting. Open your blinds/curtains to show the view and the sunlight.
5. Make sure it smells good. That old man/sock smell is not making your place more attractive. On the other hand, you don’t want to go overboard. Strong, floral plug-ins can make buyers suspicious. The most appealing scents are cinnamon/apple, vanilla or citrus scents.
7. Don’t overprice your property. Sellers first inclination is to list their property for waaaayyy higher than it’s worth. That leads to more days on market, price reductions and less money in the long run. Price correctly the first time. Your house will likely sell in 7-10 days and you’ll get the money you want.
A little prep work goes a long way when you list your home. If you’re looking to sell in 2017, contact me at email@example.com or 202.285.4238. It’s a great time to be a seller in DC!
For the floors, I love the idea of Moroccan influenced tile. However, a more modern look will work better in my place like this white and grey hexagon cement tile. It adds visual interest but I don’t think it’ll date itself in five years.
I also love the vertical tile in the shower in Amber Interiors photo except I plan to use a matte white tile in around the bathtub and in the vanity nooks.
Jen Angotti is the creator of Concrete Jungle DC, a blog about real estate in DC, ideas on how to decorate and design your abode plus a variety of topics she loves: new restaurants and bars, DC happenings, food, and travel. Jen is a licensed realtor in DC and VA.
Rise Bakery, located at 2409 18th St, NW in Adams Morgan, is a gluten-free bakery. This is monumental news in my gluten free world. A couple of months ago, my husband popped by there and grabbed a few things: a bag of bagels, a loaf of bread, a banana nut muffin and a cinnamon roll. They were delicious and I was so exited. Good gluten free bread and pastries are hard to find. I had an appointment today in Adams […]