I love risotto. It's delicious in every season. My favorite summer version features whatever is fresh at the farmer's market. Last weekend, my husband made this fantastic version with tomatoes, corn, bacon and basil. It was a show stopper. He served it with grilled chicken and big salad…yum!
Risotto with Corn, Tomatoes, Bacon and Basil
- 1 cup of corn (we used corn cut off the cob but you can use canned)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 slices bacon (we used turkey bacon)
- 5 3/4 cups (about) chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups stemmed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Add 1 cup hot stock. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Continue adding stock 1/2 cup at a time until rice is tender but still slightly firm in center and mixture is creamy, simmering until stock is absorbed before each addition and stirring often, about 25 minutes.