Almond Lace Cookie
Almond Oat Lace Cookies
- 1/2 cup whole natural unsalted almonds with skins
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
Arrange racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 rimless baking sheets with parchment paper. Pulse almonds and oats in a food processor until coarse meal forms. Set aside.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add both sugars and honey; whisk until blended and sugar dissolves, 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add nut mixture, flour, and salt; stir until well blended.
Spoon batter by 2-teaspoon portions onto baking sheets, spacing 2 1/2" apart. Using your fingertips, pat cookies down to 1/4"-high rounds; push in any jagged edges to form smooth circles. Bake, rotating sheets after 6 minutes, until dark golden brown and cookies spread out into a thin layer, 10–12 minutes. Slide cookies on parchment onto a wire rack and let cool.
Using a pastry brush, brush half of each cookie with melted chocolate. Let stand until the chocolate is set, about 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight between sheets of parchment or waxed paper.
Chocolate Candied Orange Peel
- 2 large naval orange
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- fleur de sel for garnish
- Cut the oranges in quarters and remove the segments. Slice remaining peels into thin pieces; Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Add sliced orange peels and reduce the heat to simmer. Let simmer about 45 minutes until the sugar water is very thick and sticky and the orange peels have almost become translucent.
- Remove orange peels and let dry and harden on wax paper for two hours.
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler and dip each peel halfway in. Top with fleur de sel.
- Let harden and serve.